indigenous species – totally unique specimens

bonsai south

We Craft Trees For Serious Bonsai Enthusiasts

Our trees are collected and field grown … which means we hunt them in the wild and we raise them in our bonsai garden. We choose only the best because we deserve … and you deserve … only the best.

Coming Attractions

Here’s a sneak peak at some of the bonsai Zach is currently styling.
We expect these beauties to be released for sale in June 2020.

Expertly Sourced.
Beautifully Designed.

Twice every year a new journey begins. Through rain, cold, sleet, sweltering heat, and notorious mosquitoes, Zach and his wife, Cathy, trudge through the swamps of South Louisiana to bring you the most unique, one-of-a-kind, affordable trees in the industry.

We do it because we love it. We love the hunt; we love the harvest. But most of all, we love the results. To this end, Zach also grows and shapes indigenous trees in his own backyard so he can offer you even more selection.

Zach has one of the keenest eyes in the industry and with over 30 years experience with bonsai, the care and time he puts into every single tree is clear to see …

Featured Selections

Bonsai takes time … and Zach takes the time each tree needs so he can be assured that the tree you choose for your collection will be the best it can be. Because of his reputation for quality design, trees that are posted for sale generally are purchased relatively quickly. This means you will never see sub-standard product or receive sub-standard service. To that end, here are a few trees currently available.

Zach and Bonsai South

Each tree you see on this site has been personally collected, grown, selected (for those acquired from other collectors or growers), pruned, potted, and in the case of “finished” trees, styled by Zach.

His bonsai philosophy revolves around one simple mantra:

“Better Material Means Better Bonsai.”

Years Experience

Bonsai Created

Bonsai Demonstrations

The Bonsai Blog

We have a large library of how-to articles that details for you, step-by-step, how Zach develops both stock material and finished bonsai. Images are included.

Big Bald Cypress Gets A Home

Big Bald Cypress Gets A Home

big bald cypress gets a homeSneak PeekI've been working on this big Bald cypress since 2015. I've been anxiously waiting for the day when it got a home suited to it. Today it happened.Big Bald Cypress Gets a HomeYou've seen this big Bald cypress on a number of...

Post-Snow Elm Work

Post-Snow Elm Work

post-snow elm workSneak PeekThis past week was the worst, weather-wise, since 2014. I did better at freeze protection.Post-Snow Elm WorkIt's been an interesting time since my last blog two weeks ago. Last Saturday and Sunday were spent putting all of my temperate...

Huckleberries Leafing Out, And Freeze Protection

Huckleberries Leafing Out, And Freeze Protection

huckleberries leafing out, and freeze protectionSneak PeekNot only are my Huckleberries opening flower buds, they're also starting to leaf out. Here comes the coldest night of the year so far!Huckleberries Leafing Out, and Freeze ProtectionRecently I wrote about the...

Visit Us

In Beautiful St. Francisville, Louisiana. By Appointment Only.

Call Us

(225) 784 2168

Email Us